Friday, August 23, 2013

Greenwald's Catch-22


I don’t want to argue the merits or demerits of the NSA ever, ever, ever again, and especially after any possible future terrorist attacks ( I GIVE UP ), but the above screen capture is still my favorite unintentionally funny headline from Glenn Greenwald on July 10th.  The reason is not that Snowden now resides in Russia but because of Greenwald's and Snowden's logic flaw... similar to Clevinger's logic flaw in dealing with the apparently crazy Yossarian in the WWII classic Catch-22:

“They’re trying to kill me,” Yossarian told him calmly.
"No one’s trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
"Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They’re shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They’re trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?”
― Joseph Heller, Catch 22 

[Edit 11/20/2015: this graphic is now mysteriously missing. :)   I think it might have been a screen capture that included one of the following graphics. I actually know which one but I want to see if it disappears again. :) The irony may well be lost now but I was thinking at the time that if you give the documents to everyone, then you gave them to China and Russia.  ]